Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Signs of Spring

It is still almost a month until spring is officially here, but there are signs that she is quietly taking over from winter.

My mother reported the birth of the first baby goat of the year on her farm a couple of weeks ago, and it won't be long before it is joined by a few other kids and a whole lot of lambs.

Photo courtesy of Anne Grassham of Fleecewood Farm

But even here in the city, there are signs spring is slowly setting to work too. I was woken this morning by birdsong. The days are slowly getting warmer and the first of the spring flowers are beginning to appear. These are some photos I've taken in the past week or so...






(Does anyone know what this red flower is? It is a woody shrub that flowers late winter/early spring before the leaves come out. I've seen it around all my life, but don't actually know what it is... O_o)




And this afternoon I found some real evidence of spring - real daffodils (as opposed to the little mini varieties above that always flower earlier).




2 comments:

  1. I know I've seen those red flowers too, but I can't remember what it is either. Ugh! I'll let you know when I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nina, I have since been informed that it is japonica. :)

    ReplyDelete